Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Grand Janitor's Blog

For the last year or so, I have been intermittently playing with several components of CMU Sphinx.  It is an intermittent effort because I am wearing several hats in Voci.

I find myself go back to Sphinx more and more often.   Being more experienced, I start to approach the project again carefully: tracing code, taking nodes and understanding what has been going on.  It was humbling experience - speech recognition has changed, Sphinx has more improvement than I can imagine. 

The life of maintaining sphinx3 (and occasionally dip into SphinxTrain) was one of the greatest experience I had in my life.   Unfortunately, not many of my friends know.  So Sphinx and I were pretty much disconnected for several years. 

So, what I plan to do is to reconnect.    One thing I have done throughout last 5 years was blogging so my first goal is to revamp this page. 

Let's start small: I just restarted RSS feeds.   You may also see some cross links to my other two blogs, Cumulomaniac, a site on my take of life, Hong Kong affairs as well as other semi-brainy topics,  and  333 weeks, a chronicle of my thoughts on technical management as well as startup business. 

Both sites are in Chinese and I have been actively working on them and tried to update weekly. 

So why do I keep this blog then?  Obviously the reason is for speech recognition.   Though, I start to realize that doing speech recognition has much more than just writing a speech recognizer.   So from now on, I will post other topics such as natural language processing, video processing as well as many low-level programming information.   

This will mean it is a very niche blog.   Could I keep up at all?  I don't know.   As my other blogs, I will try to write around 50 messages first and see if there is any momentum. 

Arthur

2 comments:

Pranav Jawale said...

Hi, are you active on Sphinx mailing list at sourceforge?

Arthur Chan said...

I used to. But now I only read them and no longer answer many questions, I simply don't have time to follow up all requests.

My plan in this blog is : I will write a post or two to address issues of new users of speech recognition system.

Arthur