Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Learning vs Writing

I haven't done any serious writings for a week.  Mostly post interesting readings just to keep up the momentum.   Work is busy so I slowed down.  Another concern is what to write.   Some of the topics I have been writing such as Sphinx4 and SphinxTrain take a little bit of research to get them right.

So far I think I am on the right track.  There are not many bloggers on  speech recognition.  (Nick is an exception.)   To really increase awareness of how ASR is done in practice, blogging is a good way to go.

I also describe myself as "recovering" because there are couple of years I hadn't seriously thought about open source Sphinx.  In fact though I was working on speech related stuffs, I didn't spend too much time on mainstream ASR neither because my topic is too esoteric.

Not to say, there are many new technologies emerged in the last few years.   The major one I would say is the use of neural network in speech recognition.  It probably won't replace HMM soon but it is a mainstay for many sites already.   WFST, with more tutorial type of literature available, has become more and more popular.    In programming, Python now is a mainstay plus job-proof type of language.  The many useful toolkit such as scipy, nltk by themselves deserves book-length treatment.  Java starts to be like C++, a kind of necessary evil you need to learn.  C++ has a new standard.   Ruby is huge in the Web world and by itself is fun to learn.

All of these new technologies took me back to a kind of learning mode.   So some of my articles become longer and in more detail.   For now, they probably cater to only a small group of people in the world.   But it's okay, when you blog, you just want to build landmarks on the blogosphere.   Let people come to search for them and get benefit from it.   That's my philosophy of going on with this site.

Arthur

No comments: